Owing to the paucity of resources, most of our research has, throughout our journey, remained confined to field surveys and on-farm experiments, with occasional support from academic colleagues. A new phase of Basudha’s journey, however, began in August 2014, when Mr. Avik Saha, lawyer, farmer rights activist and cultural activist of Kolkata, gifted to Basudha a well-equipped laboratory for conducting cutting edge biotechnology research. His unwavering enthusiasm, support and advocacy for Basudha’s work have enlisted a small group of committed donors, who continue to drive our laboratory research to complement our field experiments and conservation work.
A greenhouse is also attached to the laboratory, for conducting experiments with different plants, including rice.
This Laboratory for Conservation is the country’s – and perhaps the world’s – only laboratory that receives no funding from either the government or corporate sector for dedicated research work.
The primary objectives of Basudha’s Laboratory are:
(1) to facilitate conservation of Critically Endangered and Rare flora and fauna and crop genetic diversity; [More here]
(2) to conduct biochemical and molecular analyses of folk rice varieties,
(3) examine nutraceutical properties of forgotten varieties of rice, vegetables and uncultivated food flora, and
(4) publish findings of analyses in peer-reviewed scientific journals in order to preclude bio-piracy. See Publications
(5) share the research findings with the peasants and forest villagers for consolidating their indigenous food cultures and folk medicinal knowledge.
Biotechnology Laboratory for Conservation also gives hands-on training to students and faculty of colleges and universities in molecular biology methods and techniques. The last such training was given from 21 to 25 Nov 2016. Watch out for Announcements for the next training event.
Research Director: Dr. Debal Deb.
Adjunct Scientists: Dr. Shubhra Mukherjee and Dr. Sujata Guha.
Collaborating Scientists: Prof. T. Pradeep, IIT-Madras; Prof. Mousumi Poddar-Sarkar, Calcutta University; Prof. Subhas C. Santra, Kalyani University; Prof. Tapas Bandyopadhyay, Kalyani Univesity; Dr. Utpal Basu, Kalyani University; Prof. Sujata Chaudhury, Kalyani University; Dr. Tanima Saha, Kalyani University.
Sr. Research Scholar: Priyabrata Roy.
Research Scholar Apprentices: Bulti Nayak, Priya Mondal, Madhurima Lahiri.
Volunteers: Ajanta Biswas, Golap Dasgupta, Priti Das, Shuvam Chowdhury, Sneha Tiwari.
Read our Annual Report (2018) here.
See Media Reports on our Lab Research: